December 8, 2014 – weekly land trust news
Good morning everyone.
Below are links to the latest news and opportunities in our conservation world. Please take note under “Misc. news and information” below, we have some information on the Governor’s new Working Farms and Forest Initiative, which could potentially give Oregon another source of funding for easements and acquisitions on working landscapes that have a conservation nexus. This is something COLT is involved in, and we will certainly keep you all apprised to its ongoing developments.
Grants, deadlines, and timely opportunities
- Next COLT board meeting will be January 29th and 30th in Astoria (more details to come)
- On January 24th, 2015, the Center for Nonprofit Stewardship will hold their 11th annual nonprofit board training conference in Corvallis. This event is tailored to board members, and boasts a diverse selection of presentations. More information here.
- The Community Watershed Stewardship Program (CWSP) is accepting pre-applications for Stewardship Grants of up to $10,000 by February 6, 2015 (Portland only). More info here
Land trust news around the state
Misc. news and information
- Released last Monday, Governor Kitzhaber’s $30 million Working Farms and Forest Initiative included in 2015-17 budget.
- This new sources of funding, which will need legislative or voter approval, would provide funding for the conservation of working landscapes with a conservation component.
- $15 million slated to be administered by OWEB for grants for easements for acquisitions
- The other $15 million will be administered by Business Oregon for loans and loan guarantees.
- More information forthcoming as this develops…
- How many conservation easements are in Oregon anyway? According the what the Coalition of Oregon Land Trusts has put together:
- There are about 460+ conservation easements in Oregon
- Collectively they protect over 156,500 acres
- Nonprofits (mostly land trusts) hold about 190 easements
- Federal government (mostly through NRCS’s Wetlands Reserve Easement program) hold over 250 easements
- COLT will be putting together and easement fact sheet in the coming while to share will all our members and partners.
- Submitted input and suggestions for OWEB’s Focus Investment Partnership priorities are now available online here.
- The board will be discussing these at their January and April 2015 board meetings, and OWEB will open solicitation for FIP funding within the accepted priorities starting in May of 2015.
- In December and January, the Oregon Outdoor Education Coalition will be holding a series of listening sessions throughout Oregon to talk about Outdoor School. They would like to gather thoughts and input about the program. To participate, register, and for more information as to when and where, please see this link.