February 3, 2015 – weekly land trust news
Now that our successful January board meeting is behind us (see the photos!), we can focus on what is coming our way here in the land trust community.
First of all, we would like to call everyone’s attention to a new grant program from LTA and COLT: 2015 OREGON LAND TRUST STRATEGIC ADVOCACY GRANTS PROGRAM. This new program is designed to provide matching funds to advance advocacy efforts of members of COLT. For instance, help with hosting an event for your county commissioners, presenting your state representative with a beautiful framed photo in thanks for her work, etc. The grants will be awarded on a competitive basis.
The grant applications are due by February 27th, and will be awarded by March 9th. We are finalizing the application and program guidelines, and will send them out to everyone in the next day or so.
Until then, please find below some of the news that came across our radar screen this week.
Upcoming grants, deadlines, and events
- Today, February 3rd from 6-9pm: Free Family Farm Succession Program, with East Multnomah and Clackamas SWCDs.
- Thursday February 5th from 8am-11:30am in Salem: Selling Social Change: Earned Income Strategies for Nonprofits NEW
- Thursday February 5th from 6:30 – 8pm: Barry Lopez will join Oregon Humanities Think & Drink program. Information and tickets here.
- Hurry!! Tickets are almost sold out!!
- Starting Tuesday February 10th: volunteer with East Multnomah SWCD’s annual 2015 Plant Sale NEW
- Thursday February 12th 8am-12pm: Equity Lens Tools & Equity Assessments workshop NEW
- NRCS’s Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) due by February 24th.
- “CIG enables NRCS to work with other public and private entities to accelerate technology transfer and adoption of promising technologies and approaches to address some of the Nation’s most pressing natural resource concerns.”
- COLT and LTA’s new Advocacy Grant applications are due by February 27th NEW
- Application materials and program guidelines will be sent out in the next day or so to everyone on this list.
- North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA) grants due February 27th and July 7th NEW
- 2015 Land Camp registration is now open! Register now, as the limited spaces will fill up fast.
- April 20th or 21st: OWEB’s Restoration and Technical Assistance applications are due.
Oregon Land trust news from this past week NEW
Misc. news and information
- New legislation will be introduced this week by Reps. Mike Kelley (R-PA) and Mike Thompson (D-CA) to make permanent the conservation easement tax incentive. NEW
- List of upcoming LTA Webinars
- The Western Program of the Land Trust Alliance is piloting an Organizational Development Help Desk to provide complimentary, direct, expert advice to Alliance-member western land trusts.
- Oregon Conservation Strategy latest newsletter NEW
- Land Trusts and the Challenges Ahead: Blog post from Solid Ground Consulting
- A Farmer’s Guide to Working with Land Trusts
- The National Young Farmers Coalition released a new guide for farmers, designed to provide an introduction to land trusts and explain the process of partnering with a land trust to access affordable farmland.
- 2015 NRCS Local and Basin Work Group Meeting Schedule
- For land trusts interested in helping NRCS develop priorities for their ACEP programs (ALE, WRE, etc.), these workgroups are good to work with.