The 2015 Oregon Legislative Session is in full swing. COLT is tracking a number of bills related to the work of land trusts and conservation in general. Kelley, our executive director, will be reporting on our government affairs work with our full board, and we will keep the broader community up-to-date as well.Last week (March 9th), COLT, the Network of Oregon Watershed Councils, and the Oregon Association of Conservation Districts provided joint testimony in support of OWEB’s budget in front of the Joint Ways and Means Subcommittee on Natural Resources. The statement, and much of what was shared in other testimonies that day, highlights the natural and effective partnerships land trusts, watershed councils, and SWCDs are forming around the state, in large part through the support of OWEB. More testimony offered by other stakeholders in front of the committee can be found here.
Many of you have asked about the status of the Working Farms and Forest Initiative (the proposed new funding source for conservation easements and protection of working landscapes.) This has all been in flux in recent weeks, and Kelley has been working daily with the core stakeholder group in support of a new grant program. COLT will provide a more thorough update on its status in the next few days.
In the meantime, please find below the news and information that came across our radar screen over the past week.
Upcoming grants, deadlines, and events
- OWEB will hold a one-day board meeting on March 18th in Salem. The agenda will include Focused Investment Partnerships Priorities and some other business.
- March 19th 1-2:30pm: FREE webinar: Online Fundraising Best Practices for Nonprofits
- April 1st: registration ends for this year’s CONNECT 2015 conference
- The conference is on April 22nd – 24th in Welches
- April 8th 8:30am – 4pm: NAO seminar in Portland: Foundation & Corporate Grant Strategies NEW
- April 13th – 15th: 2015 Land Camp at the Menucha Resort and Conference Center
- April 15th: Spring COLT board meeting at Menucha
- We will hold our April board meeting the last day of Land Camp. More information shortly
- April 20th or 21st: OWEB’s Restoration and Technical Assistance applications are due, depending on your region.
- April 20th and 21st: 2015 Oregon Nonprofit Leaders Conference in Medford
- Scholarships due on March 18th; early bird registration ends on March 27th
- May 1st: Intermountain West Joint Venture Capacity Grants Program proposals due NEW
- May 11th and 12th: 2015 Northwest Community Forest Forum at the World Forestry Center in Portland
- North American Wetlands Conservation Act (NAWCA) grants due July 7th
- July 9th and 10th: Summer COLT board meeting at Wallowa Lake.
- Make your reservations soon!! – contact me if you DID NOT receive my email with accommodation information sent to the COLT board, and would like to attend the meeting.
- More information to come about the meeting
Oregon Land trust news from this past week NEW
Misc. news and information