Registration open for COLT’s Natural Climate Solutions Conservation Law Forum
The Coalition of Oregon Land Trusts’ conservation law forums are educational programs for attorneys and conservation professionals to learn, discuss, and help shape land conservation law in Oregon.
Oregon’s natural lands play a key role in tempering the effects of climate change, and research shows that the conservation, restoration, and improved management of climate resilient lands provides a cost-effective solution to offsetting some of the impacts of climate change. COLT’s August 19th Law Forum will look through a legal lens at the role that land trusts play in mitigating the impacts of climate change through projects focused on carbon sequestration and creating natural carbon stores. Land trust acquisition and easement projects that incorporate natural climate solutions have given rise to an emerging set of legal questions, and this forum will shed light on topics such as modifying easement templates to allow for carbon offset credits, combing holdings to access voluntary carbon offset markets, and more.
View Full August Law Forum Agenda
- Date: August 19th, 2020
- Time: 8:45am – 1:00pm
- Where: Zoom (Pre-register here)
- Executive Order 20-04 on Greenhouse Gas Emissions (Cathy Macdonald, The Nature Conservancy)
- Land Trust Alliance Carbon Offset Pilot Program (Kelly Watkinson, Land Trust Alliance)
- Oregon Land Trusts and Natural Climate Solutions (Wendy Gerlach – Pacific Forest Trust, Steve Cook – Columbia Land Trust, Amanda Martino – Blue Mountain Land Trust)
- Drafting Conservation Easements for Carbon Offset Projects (Robert Mellinger, Coalition of Oregon Land Trusts)
- Tickets: $100 with CLE credits / $50 without CLE credits
If you have any questions about the August 19th law forum, please contact Torey Mill